Alisha McKellar Portrait Design
Slideshow Image 1 Slideshow Image 2 Slideshow Image 4

Welcome to the blog!

This is where the stories behind the photos live, as well as random stories about my life as an Atlanta, GA Portrait Photographer.

I hope you enjoy reading, and if not, there's always photos to look through. :)

Subscribe to the Newsletter



Search This Blog

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Let's Not Title the Book Just Yet

 One of my favorite lines in a song is "I'd like to think the best of me is hiding up my sleeve..." This is because I hope to never stop dreaming, trying, doing, learning, thinking and creating. I believe underdogs rule the world...we just don't brag about it. :) If you're in the spot light all the time, you're blinded and can't see everyone else, or where you are needed. I do think the spot light can be fun sometimes, though.

Anyway, now that I got all of that out, on to some SUPER fun stuff. After loving Showit for over a year now, I finally decided to climb out of my little shell and attend the PASS Premier Tour here in Atlanta last night. I first got there and the wallflower in me came out. However, in no time at all, I was meeting all of these wonderful photographers, and even some I'd met at the Sandy Puc'/Jerry Ghionis seminar not too long ago. So, once I got comfy, it was ON! The speakers were unbelievable!

First up was Promise Tangeman-one of the main reasons I wanted to go. Her work is so inspiring, and every time I even go to her website I just start dreaming. Listening to her go over how she approaches branding was so refreshing. So many people were telling me I needed to do this and do that-Promise simply said you need to take a step back and figure out who you are. YOU are your brand. :) Genius, right? It's not supposed to happen in two days-it will always be a work in progress, and it should grow with you. I feel awful for talking her ears off, but she was so gracious about it all. My goal for next week is to start on her branding e-course. So, watch out folks, I'm going to go wild. haha! And, I can't wait! Hopefully I will finally figure myself out?

Next up, Zach & Jody Gray. I already loved them from watching them on my PhotoVision DVD, but to hear them just talk freely about how they treat their clients was certainly inspirational. Even though I don't specialize in weddings, they had so many wonderful ideas that could be used for any type of client. I love their attitudes, and well, the fact that they seem to be as in love with Starbucks as I am. I get picked on for collecting the Starbucks mugs everywhere I go. Well, guess what-they do it, too. :)

The rest of the night was packed with album info and...drum roll please...PASS. I cannot wait to use that to the max! It's all about giving clients what they want-and fast! So fantastic!

So, between Promise's wonderful e-course, Zach & Jody's amazing way of thinking about business (it's about people-not just delivering photos), and David Jay giving us the freedom to put all of this into our websites and have an amazing way to meet so many wonderful photographers-this year is going to ROCK! I feel like I have a whole new family!

Promise Tangeman!!

Jody (Zach & Jody Gray)

Jody & Zach (Zach & Jody Gray)

To top it all off, I shot a graduation ceremony for a local technical college this morning. As I was setting up the lights in the ballroom for formals after the ceremony, I was going through all the things I needed to remember to do throughout the day as all the graduates were getting lined up to make their walk across the stage. I noticed a guy sitting close by with his head down and he was crying-not sobbing, just some tears. I asked him if he was okay. His response, a huge smile while wiping those tears and saying, "This degree was so hard to get." I was speechless. It was then that I realized I was not hired simply to document students in caps and gowns crossing a stage, I was there to help them celebrate all of their hard work to get them there. Reason number five million and one of why I have the best job in the world.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Comment: